Jasmine's Review
I originally picked this one up when I was searching for wendigo-themed books. It came across my radar, and I thought it sounded intriguing enough, so I bought a copy and shelved it for a bit (aka a few years) before deciding to tackle it.
Stolen Tongues starts off strong. It draws you in and makes you curious about where it might go. The story itself follows a couple (Felix and Faye) as they retreat to a remote cabin in the mountains for some much-needed R&R, but things go downhill really fast when something starts whispering to Faye in the dark. Felix soon comes to realize that whatever found them in that cabin has a fascination with Faye, and it has no plans to let her go. What transpires after they leave the cabin is nothing short of spooky, stressful, and strange.
There's sleepwalking, snowstorms, and lots of supernatural stuff going on. I went into this one expecting a wendigo, but what I got was more…wendigo-adjacent? A skinwalker-type presence, I suppose. Something ancient and hungry that never fully takes shape but creeps along throughout the entirety of the story. That ambiguity worked in its favor for most of the story, but I’ll admit, the final few chapters were a bit disappointing. It felt like the tension built and built, only to fizzle out a bit there at the end. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting.
If you love:
☑️ Isolated cabins + isolation dread
☑️ Creepy whispers in the dark + unsettling voice mimicry
☑️ Relationships that turn into nightmares
☑️ Slow-burn psychological horror with a touch of Native folklore
☑️ ...and the growing suspicion that something isn’t quite right out there...
...then this one’s worth the goosebumps.
Rating: 3.5/5





0 Comments