My Review Ranking
21 Cryptid Horror Stories, Ranked: Darkest of Dreams, Volume 1

Can you tell I love cryptids? 😂 

I read Darkest of Dreams, Volume 1, a 21-story cryptid horror anthology a little while back, and naturally I couldn't simply finish the book and move on with my life like a normal person. I had to rank every single story.

From slidey mountain monsters to soul-sucking forest witches, here's how each tale stacked up, from my favorite to my least favorite:

Tremors — Slide-Rock Bolter
Ouroboros — Wendigo
A Pleasant Fiction — Bigfoot (this one is sad and surprisingly emotional)
Copper Country — Rake
Children Don't Belong in the Forest — Baba Yaga (this one takes a twist at the end)
Ill Met by Starlight — Doppelganger
The Meeting of the Waters — Iara
Disappearance at Sleepy Creek — Wampus Cat
The Monster at Lake Bakwansek — Kwansey / Nessie-type lake monster
Love is a Many-Splendored Thing — Aswang
The Final Flash — Bigfoot (this one is more violent/angry Bigfoot
The Dying of the Light 
— Bugul Noz / Night Shepherd
Red Eyes in Darkness — Mothman
Paid in Full — Banshee
Give the Devil His Due — Jersey Devil + Grunch Road Monster
Don't Lose the Thread — Fence Rail Dog
Eyeshine — Bunnyman
The Devil You Know — Jersey Devil
Brother Beware — Bigfoot (his one is too weird for my liking)
Hanging by a Thread — Zombies (🤨)
Curtain Call — Vampire (😴)

A second collection is potentially going to happen at some point (maybe?), and if so, I'm hoping there's a Squonk story...because the Squonk is my spirit cryptid. 😂 

Or maybe... Maybe I should write a Squonk story instead... 🤔