My Review
The Last House on Needless Street is a bittersweet story of a man, his tween daughter, and their cat…but it’s so much more than that.
This was recommended to me, and I'm glad I took a chance on it.
The cover gives off “creepy haunted house” vibes, and the synopsis is curious enough to draw you in and make you go hmm…
If you know nothing about the book, please do yourself a favor and keep it that way. Go in blind. Trust me. It’s one of those books you need to experience on your own for the full impact of what’s really going on to sink into your bones and get under your skin.
Without spoiling anything, I can say that this book is full of twists and unexpected turns that will keep you guessing. Just when you think you have an idea of what’s happening (and who might be good or bad), the book pulls the rug out and leaves you questioning everything.
What secrets bind these three together? Why does Ted drink so much, and does it have anything to do with why he has memory gaps? Why is Lauren so angry at her father? Why does Olivia the cat seem to enjoy reading the Bible so much? How does new neighbor Dee play into things?
All these questions (and more) are answered the deeper you get into the book, but nothing is quite what it seems. And by the time you finish… Well, let’s just say that it's not only a story about buried secrets—it’s about realizing that the real horror is the truth that sheds light on a genuine monster...
This book reminded me a lot of a few movies I’ve seen. I won’t say which ones, because I don’t want to give anything away, but it’s also…more.
And after I finished the book, I sat with it for a moment before I started crying. Maybe it’s because I’m an emotional mess. Maybe it’s because of the childhood I had and the things I’ve lived through. Maybe it’s both. But this book made me reflect on things, and it also made me realize how far I’ve come and how…lucky I am that I did make it this far.
If you love:
☑️ Psychological horror
☑️ Unreliable narrators
☑️ Multiple POVs
☑️ Twists upon twists
☑️ Dark family secrets
☑️ Stories where nothing is what it seems
☑️ Slow-burn mysteries
☑️ Emotional, bittersweet horror
☑️ Endings that make you rethink everything that came before...






0 Comments